In today’s project, you used conditionals in two different ways.
You programmed the pencil to only draw, *if* the mouse button was pressed down, and you used an "if" statement to tell player 2 *if* they guessed the drawing correctly.
Conditionals are important in all areas of computer science, not just in social media programs.
Take, for example, the tongue drive system being developed at Georgia Tech that will give people with severe spinal cord injuries the ability to move.
Individuals with severe spinal cord injuries have very limited mobility.
Some cannot walk or move any parts of their bodies below the neck.
Check out how these computer scientists are trying to help people with severe spinal cord injuries regain independence and mobility.
Tongue drive system is an assistive technology that would enable individuals that have severe physical disabilities to use their tongue motion in order to do things to go after their daily lives.
So, we can take advantage of the abilities of the tongue in order to enable a disabled person to, for example, access computers, move a mouse cursor on the screen, or drive a wheelchair.
If the tongue drive works, it is actually a pretty simple idea.
We attach a tiny magnet on the tongue, towards the tip of the tongue.
As the tongue moves, we can sense the changes in the magnet, and then our headset has a wireless connection to a smartphone that is worn by the user.
It can detect where, in what direction, and at what location the tongue and this tiny magnet is.
And then, it will execute that command by sending the proper signal to the wheelchair to follow my command.
What an amazing invention.
You might even be able to imagine now how this life changing device was programmed.
It might look something like this… "if sensor = forward, then move the wheelchair forward."
Computer science is a tool you can use to solve problems and create new things.
These creations may help connect people via social media, or change people’s lives by providing them with mobility.
Whatever the problem, it takes people like you, who know computer science, to create a solution.
Next session, you will create a pictogram app that lets users customize pictures using filters.
While you’re waiting for your clubmates to finish the wrap-up, take a moment to write a shout-out, and have a good one.
- "Hawking - Egy zseni élete" by Lwp Kommunikáció (https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwpkommunikacio/13774836353) -- Licensed by CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/) -- Image scaled up, cropping edges
- "Australian paralympian Liesl Tesch conducted wheelchair basketball clinics in Vientiane to help raise awareness of disability and bring attention to UXO victim assistance in laos. Laos 2010. Photo- AusAID (10674802805).jpg" by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Australian_paralympian_Liesl_Tesch_conducted_wheelchair_basketball_clinics_in_Vientiane_to_help_raise_awareness_of_disability_and_bring_attention_to_UXO_victim_assistance_in_laos._Laos_2010._Photo-_AusAID_(10674802805).jpg) -- Licensed by CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/) -- Image scaled up, cropping edges
- "Georgia Tech Tongue Drive System' by Georgia Tech (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZHBNYd-eWs) -- Licensed using CC-BY 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/) -- Video trimmed to needed length
- "Paraplexia paraplegia.jpg" by Luis Miguel Bugallo Sánchez (https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkas:Paraplexia_paraplegia.jpg) -- Licensed by CC BY-SA 2.5 SE (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/es/deed.id) -- Image scaled up, cropping edges
- "IF-THEN-ELSE-END flowchart.svg" by Snubcube (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IF-THEN-ELSE-END_flowchart.svg) -- Licensed by CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en) -- White background added to image
- "Tablet social media" by Ian Clark (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrshoes/15946168851/in/photolist-qi7hrH-firryD-8emRJF-cu3jyJ-6ZhLm1-8d9dGt-8w6RQw-4KvCf1-8emju8-8emmkZ-6ZhLzd-8emK2M-8epSYf-8epD1U-8eq3wN-8epDw3-8epCiW-8emn8a-8epTcN-8emBEK-8eq3t1-8epSTJ-nW8Qtw-bzSV4y-8epkSo-8emjAV-8epyr5-4Krn9B-8KwvCs-4KrmKB-8emmj6-9iU6d5-8eq4Jj-fQ6CnH-5n4FWw-ddApjK-5Cof68-8emRji-dUmKE4-7rbSNe-8epDjh-7YNkh5-6ZhL2f-e9KGog-rjVicE-7Gcb5L-7rbSMX-8epqxL-9BP4Ef-9k7Ayc) -- Licensed by CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/) -- Image scaled up, cropping edges
- "Source code security plugin" by Christiaan Colen (https://www.flickr.com/photos/132889348@N07/20013034763/in/photolist-wuu2Zv-aBK465-aPP9zc-5ZWGsP-8cJT1n-m7jGac-axRwEj-buzNK5-aC6eRq-b4eUW-5JfofT-5Qe2RB-5ZiAfZ-q7DVJ9-r7GE4z-aC3AGv-dgkjNY-educZc-7fr9qw-aC3C8M-5GbkhZ-5GfBWL-wEfkYc-c49GGu-5Ycsfr-Bbfxk-7E9fqU-cP5ASm-5Hre5T-o2vnD6-4bTYXB-6c5sKj-oR7oB7-DGgAN-b54TBB-94EcJg-6xebCY-6c1gNX-LmwLk-9xh62u-bmCeGm-pa1tU5-qq5PrZ-mjhDwB-bNDuuc-66RH3Y-8QDuqn-5XupX6-8NztPD-J8Cbx) -- Licensed by CC BY-SA 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/) -- Image scaled up, cropping edges
- "Spring 2012 Student Hackathon Coding: by hackNY.org (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hackny/7036223605/in/photolist-bHLu96-bHLt9e-buzN29-9xBJ67-xp2RBy-gufHEo-aPP9hM-dfkMsy-wuu2Zv-aBK465-aPP9zc-5ZWGsP-8cJT1n-m7jGac-axRwEj-buzNK5-aC6eRq-b4eUW-5JfofT-5Qe2RB-5ZiAfZ-q7DVJ9-r7GE4z-aC3AGv-dgkjNY-educZc-7fr9qw-aC3C8M-5GbkhZ-5GfBWL-wEfkYc-c49GGu-5Ycsfr-Bbfxk-7E9fqU-cP5ASm-5Hre5T-o2vnD6-4bTYXB-6c5sKj-oR7oB7-DGgAN-b54TBB-94EcJg-6xebCY-6c1gNX-LmwLk-9xh62u-bmCeGm-pa1tU5) -- Licensed by CC BY-SA 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/) -- Image scaled up, cropping edges