In this activity, you learned about conditionals. You learned that computers make decisions by looking at conditions that tell them whether or not to run specific code. This is a huge part of what computers do and a really important concept in computer science.
Think of your favorite apps, software programs, or electronic toys. Every single one of them uses conditionals, and most of them probably use thousands!
Conditionals even help pets. Check out this video about a collar that sends your pet’s GPS location to a smartphone so that you don’t have to worry about your pet getting lost.
A small device attaches to your pet's collar.
If your pet goes missing, you'll get alerted immediately on your smartphone, and with the press of a button, you'll be able to use the GPS in the device and the GPS in your phone to guide you turn by turn to your pet's location.
That sounds great! What triggered you to develop a tracker?
And how does it exactly work?
Sure! I actually was inspired by my own dog.
This is pip.
Pip is a 15 pound terrier mix, so, surely after we adopted him-- he's going to go back to sleep-- he went missing, and it was really terrifying. That's what inspired us to come up with a solution.
That's pretty sweet. If your pet goes missing, then this app will display the GPS location on the collar and give you directions to that location. If your pet is nearby, it will make the battery go to sleep, so it has more battery life for when your pet is actually lost. Good thing computer scientists like you, protect lost pets! Next session you will create an advertisement that shows off the features of a new fitness gadget. Sounds really fun!
Lastly, post a shout-out using the sticky note on your computer; tell someone thanks or let them know they did a great job. After that, wrap it up and make sure to listen to your Host or Guru’s instructions. As you finish up today, think about this quote from Serena Williams. Serena has dominated tennis for over a decade, and she has racked up several Olympic Gold Medals. Want to know how? She says, “Luck has nothing to do with it, because I have spent many, many hours, countless hours, on the court working for my one moment in time, not knowing when it would come.” Greatness is worked for, each and every day, just like Serena says. So when you are struggling with a tough issue or problem, just keep going and eventually your moment will come to shine. See you next time.
- Google-plus-icon.png de Google (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Google-plus-icon.png) sous licence CC BY-NC 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/)
- SERENA WILLIAMS (3247979057) de NAPARAZZI (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SERENA_WILLIAMS_(3247979057).jpg) sous licence CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/)
- Facebook logo (square).png de Facebook (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Facebook_logo_(square).png) sous licence CC-BY 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/)
- Flickr Shiny Icon.svg de Jessekoeckhoven (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flickr_Shiny_Icon.svg) sous licence CC BY-NC 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/)
- Welsh Corgi Pembroke in Kamień de Lilly M (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Welsh_Corgi_Pembroke_WPR_Kamien_07_10_07.jpg#/media/File:Welsh_Corgi_Pembroke_WPR_Kamien_07_10_07.jpg) sous licence CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa
- Pinterest Shiny Icon.svg de Jessekoeckhoven (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pinterest_Shiny_Icon.svg) sous licence CC BY-NC 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/)
- Never Lose Your Pet Again With Animal Tracker PIP d'IntoConnection (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj15wbMcX_Y) sous licence CC BY-NC 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/)
- Twitter circle.svg de The Pink Group (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Twitter_circle.svg) sous licence CC BY-NC 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/)
- Gold medal olympic (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gold_medal_olympic.svg#/media/File:Gold_medal_olympic.svg) sous licence CC BY-SA 2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/)